Multiple Sclerosis is a potentially disabling disease which affects the brain as well as the spinal cord. In the disease the immune system attacks the naturally occurring protective layer that covers the nerve fibres and causes communications problems between the brain and the rest of your body. As the disease progresses it can cause permanent damage or deterioration of the nerves.
Early detection of the onset of the disease can help the recovery rates profoundly and hence here are some of the symptoms that might end up being visible when the disease progresses.
- Numbness or weakness in one or more limbs that only occurs on one side of the body at a time or your legs or trunks.
- Electric shock like sensations that occur with certain neck movements, especially when bending the neck backwards.
- Lack of coordination or unsteady gait.
- With the progression vision problems might also be apparent these would include
- Partial or complete loss of vision
- Prolonged cases of double vision
- Burry vision ,
- Apart from these several other symptoms visible in certain cases are
- Slurred speech
- Tingling or pain in the parts of the body
- Problems in sexual intercourse, bowel and bladder function.
- Unhindered progression of the disease can also lead to complications such as
- Muscle stiffness or spasms
- Paralysis, typically in the legs
- Mental changes, such as forgetfulness or mood swings
Stem Cell Therapy
Multiple Sclerosis is an auto immune disease of the central nervous system. It causes the body’s immune system to attack nervous system. It causes the body’s immune system to itself attack different parts of the body such as the brain, spinal cord and optic nerve. While medical sciences regard no straightforward cure for MS but according to the research conducted Stem Cell Therapy could help in slowing down the progression of the disease.
An autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation involves wiping out a person’s immune system and then re-growing it using the persons own hematopoietic stem cells. These are stem cells that can develop into all types of blood cells, including white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets. The method destroys the dysfunctional immune system that is causing the symptoms of MS and replaces it with an immune system that works normally.
To destroy the original, dysfunctional immune system, a person receives cytotoxic therapy. This is usually in the form of Chemotherapy and immunobalative therapeutic antibodies, which help remove and destroy the immune systems cells.
Treatments for Ms Attacks
- Medication (Corticosteroids)
In case a patient is suffering from attacks doctors might prescribe medicines belonging to the class of Corticosteroids, such as prednisone and intravenous methylprednisolone to reduce nerve inflammation. Side effects may include Insomnia, increased blood pressure, increased blood glucose levels, mood swings and fluid retention.
- Plasma Exchange
In the process plasma is removed and separated from the blood cells. The blood cells are then mixed with a protein solution and put back into the body. Plasma exchange may be used if your symptoms are new, severe and have not responded well to the steroids mentioned above.
While Stem Cell Therapies do not promise a complete recovery they can possibly help in prolonging the complete spread of the disease. For stem cell therapies in India, profound medical help providers such as Stem Cell Care India can help in improving the life quality with the help of ace medical expertise and experience.