Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is one of the prevalent inherited diseases that can affect nerves and muscles and the result would be muscle weakness. The research says this disease affects infants and children but it can also develop in adults too. The symptoms of SMA totally depend on the types of Spinal muscular atrophy. But you can experience the symptoms like loss of muscle control, movement and strength. Many are not able to walk, sit or stand. Facing this problem? Contact us first. “Stem Cell Care India” is the top stem cell therapy hospital India. Stem cell treatment is a reliable choice for this condition.
What Dietary and Nutritional Management to Follow?
- Intake of the best Nutritional foods
If you are a patient of Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) then it is vital for you to follow the nutritional deficiency of Vitamin A, K, E, and D. A person need to include lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains and cereals, and healthy fats. Professional doctors even said that intake of appropriate calories and that there is no calorie deficiency.
- Say No to Prolonged fasting
Those patients who are suffering from Spinal muscular atrophy might face the risk of hypoglycemia, hyper ketosis, and metabolic acidosis. These risks develop during prolonged fasting. If you are serious about recovering from this problem then make sure to avoid prolonged fasting.
- Eat Foods that are Rich in Quercetin
There are multiple health benefits of Quercetin like antioxidants and anti-inflammatory. You must eat food that is high in quercetin because such foods are not only healthy but also safe. Let us share some of the best food that is rich in Quercetin: blueberries, tomatoes, dried cranberries, kale, red onions, chia seeds, and buckwheat.
- Maintaining Electrolytes is Mandatory
A person should maintain the correct electrolyte balance which includes calcium, chloride, magnesium, potassium, sodium, and certain acids. You can now maintain the health of nerves and muscles only if Electrolyte is balanced properly.
- External Supplements
If there are feeding difficulties then the only optimal solution is nutritional supplements and it’s for all those patients who are facing the problem of Spinal muscular atrophy. Before you take any kind of supplement, it is imperative to discuss it with our healthcare professional who has a better understanding related to this. They will share a proper list so that you can note down and follow that rightly.
Foods to Avoid
- Sugary Food: Do you eat sugar foods like candies, cakes, and sugary drinks? You need to change your habit because professional doctors are saying that if you are an SMA patient then avoid all these. You need to minimize the consumption of sugary foods. This food provides empty calories and may contribute to weight gain. So, it is better to totally avoid it.
- High-sodium Food: Canned soups, processed meats, snacks, etc are some of the foods that have high-sodium. Reducing it is important if you are suffering from SMA. Such foods no doubt can contribute to fluid retention and high blood pressure as well. Note these high-sodium foods and suggest your family member who is an SMA patient avoid them from today.
- Acidic Foods: We have seen many individuals who are facing SMA experience gastroesophageal reflux disease. If you eat some acidic foods, such as citrus fruits, tomatoes, spicy foods, etc may exacerbate symptoms. So, you need to make sure that such foods are avoided otherwise the problem can be worse.
- Trans Fats: An ample amount of foods that are very high in trans fats like fast food, fried food, baked food, and more. Do you eat all these regularly? Are you an SMA patient? If the answer is yes then the first thing to note down is avoiding these foods that contain trans fats. What’s the reason? It can increase inflammation and of course, it has a negative impact on overall health.
- Difficult-to-Swallow Foods: Have you taken experience difficulty in swallowing? Many SMA patients have faced this condition as they find some foods that are hard to chewy or sticky should be avoided. If you also facing Spinal muscular atrophy then better to ignore such foods. It should not be on your food diet list.
“Stem Cell Care India” is renowned for stem cell treatment in Delhi and even can unpack the food diet list. You must follow the diet by consulting our healthcare professionals to recover quickly.