Knee joints are one of the most complex and powerful structures of the human anatomy, providing the support for the body’s weight and facilitating the movement of the lower limbs. This is especially essential for sitting, standing, and walking. Often, conservative remedies such as medications, physical therapy, and surgery are preferred to address knee pains and associated impairments. Still, up until now, most choose these treatments as the most effective solution.
Over the past two decades, as the field of orthopedics has made tremendous progress, stem cell therapy has become increasingly popular due to its advantages over conventional orthopedic treatments. By helping to reduce knee pain and promoting the repair and regeneration of knee cartilage, stem cell therapy has been the focus of a plethora of research papers in this area.
Stem cell therapy has become a novel therapeutic option in orthopedics as it has the ability to regenerate. This stem cell procedure can heal a damaged knee cartilage with the help of patient’s own cells, and even better, without an incision on the skin. It is the most effective non-invasive solution for knee conditions like meniscus tear, cartilage damage and arthritis. It provides an alternative to knee replacement surgery.
In India, there are various centres who offers treatment via stem cells, however, if you want an affordable and safe treatment process, you can seek help from Stem Cell Care India, our highly qualified and experienced doctors are here to assist you from beginning of the procedure to post-treatment methods.
But, before opting for stem cell osteoarthritis treatment in Delhi, let’s understand the osteoarthritis condition.
Overview of Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is a commonly known form of arthritis that affects millions of individuals worldwide. This disease is caused by the breakdown of the protective cartilage that encases the ends of bones. While it can occur in any joint, the joints in the hands, knees, hips, and spine are the most common sites of damage.
The progression of osteoarthritis is typically a slow one, with the symptoms getting worse over time. Symptoms of osteoarthritis may include:
- Pain in the affected joints during or after the movement.
- Joint stiffness.
- Individual might feel tender when they apply light pressure on the affected area.
- Loss of flexibility.
- Swelling which is caused by soft tissue inflammation.
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative condition caused by the gradual deterioration of the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of bones in your joints. Cartilage is a firm but slippery tissue that allows nearly frictionless joint motion, and this destruction of the cartilage can lead to bone rubbing on bone if the wear is extensive enough.
Osteoarthritis has been referred to as a wear and tear disease, but it affects more than just the cartilage—it causes changes to the bone, deterioration of the connective tissues that support the joint, and inflammation of the joint lining.
Exploring The Possibilities of Stem Cells for Osteoarthritis
Stem cells, known as master cells, have a highly specialized capability that enables them to change into various cell types located in the body. With their exceptional potential to repair and regenerate, these cells have become a key factor in the treatment of a wide array of illnesses and medical concerns.
Stem cells can be converted into bone, muscle, cartilage, ligament, or tendon cells. Moreover, the protein cytokines, released by stem cells, serve an indispensable purpose in healing tissue.
Stem cells are used to maintain the integrity of the tissue in which they are present. The use of bone-marrow-derived stem cells for clinical purposes, such as ligament tear and tendon repair in chronic orthopedic conditions, has significant advantages. This non-surgical approach allows for a faster regeneration of the cartilage tissue by administering a concentrated form of these cells directly into the damaged tissue.
What Types of Stem Cells are Utilized for the Treatment of Osteoarthritis?
Research has indicated that osteoarthritis stem cell therapy in Delhi may be an effective remedy for osteoarthritis, a degenerative joint disease that affects millions of individuals globally. Utilizing a variety of stem cell types for osteoarthritis treatment has both positive and negative aspects. Here are a few stem cell types frequently used when treating osteoarthritis:
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs): Osteoarthritis treatment commonly utilizes MSCs, stem cells which can be found in bone marrow, fat, and the fluid around joints.
- Adipose-derived Stem Cells (ADSCs): The potential of ADSCs in cartilage regeneration and relieving symptoms related to inflammation makes them a viable option for osteoarthritis treatment.
- Bone Marrow-derived Stem Cells (BMSCs): Bone marrow is the source of another type of MSCs. Such stem cells are characterized by their capacity for regeneration and the ability to reduce inflammation.
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs): iPSCs, have been reprogrammed from adult cells such as skin cells or blood cells to behave like embryonic stem cells.
Reasons to Choose Stem Cell Therapy Over Other Treatment for Osteoarthritis
Some people might opt for stem cell therapy as a potential treatment for osteoarthritis due to several benefits it provides compared to traditional treatment methods. Here are some explanations of why someone might choose stem cell therapy in place of other therapies for osteoarthritis:
- Minimally invasive: Osteoarthritis treatment using stem cell therapy is often a minimally invasive procedure. Stem cells can be sourced from one’s own body, such as either bone marrow or adipose tissue, and from alternative sources, like umbilical cord blood. This reduces the risks involved with more invasive surgical procedures.
- Offers natural repair: Stem cell therapy for osteoarthritis employs the body’s own healing cells extracted from fat to help resolve the issues arising from the condition that affect joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons. By using the body’s natural restorative capacities, the therapy assists in facilitating repair and can halt, or at least reduce, the destruction of cartilage and other bodily tissues.
- Long-lasting effects: The goal of stem cell therapy is to restore and fix any harm inflicted on tissue, potentially providing more extended reprieve when compared to standard treatments which focus on merely controlling symptoms.
Stem cell therapy for knees offers an innovative and promising treatment option for those suffering from the effects of osteoarthritis. This regenerative medicine treatment utilizes the body’s inherent healing powers to repair damaged cartilage and restore joint function, providing a less invasive alternative to knee replacement surgery.
With advancing research and technology, stem cell osteoarthritis treatment in Delhi and other regenerative treatments are likely to become more widely accessible and increasingly successful for treating osteoarthritis.
However, if you want to learn more about what conditions we are treating, you can check out in our disease treated section, or you can also look into the blog section.